Economic Development, NLEA President
The Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA) is a three county community and economic development organization that has been in existence since 1984. There have been three Executive Directors/Presidents during this time period. The NLEA is a 501 C-3 organization that represents a partnership between county governments, which currently include Antrim, Charlevoix and Cheboygan counties, MSU Extension and business entities. The partnership between NLEA and MSU Extension began in 1992. More information on the Northern Lakes Economic Alliance can be found at www.northernlakes.net.
As part of MSU Extension (MSUE) and the Community, Food and Environment Institute (CFEI), this position provides local and statewide educational leadership with a focus on coordination and promotion of economic development efforts in the three county area of Antrim, Charlevoix and Cheboygan.
In this position, you will serve as President/CEO of the NLEA working with NLEA Board of Directors to develop and implement the NLEA program of work.
The NLEA program of work includes: lead initiatives that identify needs of the community, monitor current issues and develop effective programming related to economic development with an emphasis on creation and retention of job opportunities, marketing the counties as a positive business locale, and assisting current and future businesses and industries with business services.
You will assist community members, business leaders and government officials to understand the economic, social, political and environmental impact of economic development and promote active citizen participation in economic decision making while acting as facilitator, economic counselor and educator to assist existing businesses with retention and expansion of their enterprises.
Additionally, you will have opportunities to work collaboratively across MSU Extension work groups and with faculty, specialists and educators. You will be responsible for designing, implementation and evaluation of programming based on basic and applied research and the needs of clientele. Acting as a resource to staff, Extension personnel and clientele, you will disseminate research-based information through various methods, including multi-media, personal education and written articles.
This position will work from the NLEA office in Boyne City, Michigan.
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate education programs that are relevant to community and business interests in NLEA service areas, currently Antrim, Charlevoix and Cheboygan counties.
- Lead a staff of non-MSU Extension professionals responsible for community development, business development, grant writing/administration, bookkeeping, and office management.
- Collaborate, communicate with, and take direction from with the Northern Lakes Economic Alliance (NLEA) Board of Directors to identify needs of the community, monitor current issues related to economic development, and develop effective programming.
- Act as facilitator, economic counselor and educator to assist existing businesses with the retention and expansion of their enterprises.
- Develop and update marketing materials as needed; utilize group meetings, seminars, mass media, individual contacts and other methods to reach potential clientele and communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities.
- Maintain current economic development issues and trends in the NLEA service area and larger region and specifically to those addressing the needs of rural communities.
- Actively participate in professional development and educational in-service to improve technical and professional competence and effectiveness.
- Develop an area of expertise in economic development and actively engage with other professionals in the economic development field, including those MSU Extension Community Food Environment Institute (CFEI) employee work groups that relate to economic development.
- Collaborate with MSU Extension staff to conduct and evaluate programming efforts when applicable.
- Create, promote and maintain positive public relations for the counties that have engaged the NLEA, MSU Extension and the Community, Food and Environment Institute.
- Implement the directive of equal opportunity programming regarding the availability of Extension programs.
- Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational articles.
- Responsible for gathering data, writing and interpreting reports to demonstrate effectiveness of programs to stakeholders and to guide future program priorities.
- Understand and implement Civil Rights, diversity, equity and inclusion policies and procedures.
- Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan’s diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors -Business, Public Administration, Finance
Masters -Business, Public Administration, Finance
- Master’s degree required; Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to business, public administration, finance, economic development, or related field, are invited to apply with the understanding that completion of a master’s degree will be required within a specified time frame, in a related field, after employment.
- Economic and/or community development experience.
- Ability to demonstrate detailed knowledge of business management, business finance, financial packaging and business development tools.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of economic development/community development tools, such as brownfield programs, Downtown Development Authorities, tax increment financing, tax credits, community development block grants and other granting programs.
- Working knowledge of state and federal programs such as Michigan Economic Development Corporation Programs, U.S. Economic Development Administration and USDA Rural Development, etc.
- Demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to create and carry out a project plan from development of initial concept to project completion and follow-up.
- Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently in an office environment without daily supervision and/or coaching.
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance delivery/communication technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications, data analysis/retrieval, and overall management.
- Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/ communities, including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach.
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights, diversity, equity and inclusion principles and compliance standards.
- Understands, supports, and fosters integration of diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to regularly travel through the Northern Michigan areas served and surrounding communities, as well as occasional long distance travel outside the assigned area, is required in order to perform duties of this position.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the employee.
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- 3-years’ experience in Extension program delivery with demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred).
- 3-years' experience in Extension program delivery in business/community development related programming (relevant experience with the last 5 years preferred).
- Experience leading economic development initiatives, or an economic development organization.
- Experience in securing and managing grant funds and resources.
- 2-years of experience in coaching, training and mentoring.
- Ability to accept and delegate responsibility.
- Ability to maintain close attention to detail.
- Demonstrated drive and initiative.
Required Application Materials
Four (4) professional references, including at least two (2) prior or current supervisors
This position is a full-time, fixed term end-dated appointment renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding.
For questions related to this position, please contact District 14 Director, Adam Koivisto, email@example.com (231) 237-4775.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.