Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 625082
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Fisheries And Wildlife 10002344
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific, Non-Union
The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Michigan State University invites applications for the position of Research Associate Fixed-Term in Wetlands Wildlife Ecology.
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with a multifaceted multi-year project to assess waterfowl (and other wildlife) and recreational use of wetlands in Michigan.
- Designing and conducting field-based research projects that will yield results to inform the Michigan Department of Natural Resources’ efforts to manage created and natural wetlands.
- Directing data collection and supervising field assistants.
- Communicating research findings to public and professional audiences through oral presentations, peer-reviewed publications, and technical reports.
This position is a 12-month fixed term appointment with a potential start date of February 1, 2020. The position is renewable for up to 3 years depending upon availability of funding.
Doctorate -Wildlife Ecology or related with an emph
- Minimum of three years experience designing and conducting research focused on wetlands and/or waterfowl ecology.
- Strong quantitative skills, particularly in the areas of population monitoring, demography and modeling.
- Must be able to program in R and have demonstrable experience using ArcGIS.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, with proven record of peer-reviewed publication and presentation at scientific meetings.
- Ability to fly in small (4 – 6 persons) fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters and count wildlife, particularly waterfowl.
- Experience with safely operating and maintaining small watercraft.
- Willingness to travel (often involving overnight stays) within Michigan and the continental United States and Canada
- Experience designing and conducting studies of wetland wildlife habitat use.
- Experience working with state and federal wetland and waterfowl management personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively with nonscientific audiences.
- Demonstrable history of managing research project budgets and logistics.
- Experience with program MARK.
- Experience studying invasive wetland animals and/or plants.
Required Application Materials
Please submit a CV, letter of interest, and contact information for three references. References will be contacted only if requested by the department. In the letter of interest, please include your leadership experience in and philosophical approaches to achieving a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Questions related to this position can be directed to Dr. Scott R. Winterstein (517-353-2022 or email@example.com)
The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife was established in 1950 with faculty drawn from several different units. Since that time, both the faculty and the issues of importance in fisheries and wildlife have changed significantly. Our Mission, Vision, and Values build on our core strengths and prepare us for continuing change in societal needs, scientific understanding, and educational priorities.
We believe a diverse, inclusive working and learning environment enriches the department and fosters innovation in teaching, research, and engagement with partners and the public.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend