Associate Provost-Exec Mgt
Back to search results
Job no: 601923
Work type: Executive Management
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Provost And Academic Affairs
Provost Evp For Academic Affairs 10050692
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Executive Management, Administrative/Business/Professional
Associate Provost for Outreach and Engagement
Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking a leader/advocate, associate provost for outreach and engagement, who will serve as a facilitator and connector of University partners with one another and with external partners interested and involved in outreach and engagement work. This leadership role will help to extend the University’s work as a pioneer land grant institution in which the faculty and staff have long provided substantive contributions and leadership through scholarly work – both research and creative activities – to the problems and concerns of community partners. In order to further the University’s role as a national leader in outreach and engagement, the new associate provost will work closely with the Office of the Provost and University faculty and staff to innovate, and implement the recommendations outlined in the recent report, University Outreach and Engagement: A Forward Look to New Opportunities.
Primary responsibility for fulfilling the University’s commitment to outreach and engagement lies with the individual colleges and their departments/schools. The Associate Provost encourages and supports those efforts within the University in the following ways:
- by articulating a contemporary definition of outreach and engagement work that is inclusive of all fields and disciplines, communities, and social identities
- by establishing structures and entities throughout the University and within the office that facilitate partnerships and dialogue for outreach and engagement with external partners,
- by facilitating the articulation of an inclusive vision, plan and strategic goals for the work by University faculty and staff with community partners,
- by marshalling and mobilizing office resources for the support of work by faculty and staff across the University,
- through promoting the use of new technologies and platforms as tools for engagement
- by advocating for policy/procedure revisions and organizational changes that will promote outreach and engagement work,
- by helping faculty and academic units seek external funding for outreach and engagement that, when possible, is linked to relevant research and creative activity funding,
- by publicizing the work of faculty and staff who exemplify Michigan State’s dedication to outreach and engagement, and
- by updating and developing measures to assess the impact of outreach and engagement and establishing key annual benchmarks,
- by innovating approaches that involve students in outreach and engagement to increase community partner impact and enhance the student experience.
The Associate Provost is also a leader who models respectful and collaborative work with the Michigan community, seeking to ensure that groups and organizations can readily access Michigan State’s knowledge resources and that the campus is responsive to community-defined issues and underrepresented communities.
The Associate Provost reports to the Provost, serves as a member of the Provost’s staff, and has direct responsibility for management of the Office of Outreach and Engagements and its staff.
- Qualify for tenure as an Associate or Full Professor (discipline is open)
- Demonstrated facilitative and innovative leadership
- Distinguished record of research, program development and/or teaching
- Experience collaborating across disciplines and across constituencies
- Demonstrated effectiveness in recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce, and creating an inclusive and supportive work environment
- Experience developing sustained relationships in communities
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Agility and flexibility to both manage and lead change
- Strong record in outreach and engagement projects
- Experience in strategic planning, coaching and mentoring, and program building
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three references.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend