Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 551942
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Education
Counseling, Educ Psych & Spec Educ 10014204
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific
Dr. Lisa Linnenbrink-Garcia (http://llgarcia.educ.msu.edu/) and Dr. Jennifer Schmidt (http://www.education.msu.edu/search/Formview.aspx?email=jaschmid%40msu.edu) in the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology, and Special Education (http://education.msu.edu/cepse/) seek a research associate, post-doctoral researcher, to work closely with them on their research related to student motivation and engagement. Drs. Schmidt and Linnenbrink-Garcia have a shared research group, with a variety of research projects examining students’ motivation in STEM fields. This work focuses on how contextual factors support motivation and engagement and how motivation develops over time. A post-doctoral associate would have the opportunity to engage with their larger research team and work on a variety of projects led jointly and independently by Drs. Schmidt and Linnenbrink-Garcia. This is one year position that can be extended to two years given successful performance.
Duties: Major responsibilities will be negotiated based on the candidate’s skills and goals, but could include data processing, management, and analysis of multi-year longitudinal and intensive longitudinal data sets as well as the development of a professional learning approach to support support student motivation and engagement in science. The research associate will also have the opportunity to teach 2 to 4 courses per academic year within CEPSE and to develop his or her teaching and mentoring skills. The research associate will also have the opportunity to contribute to manuscripts, grant-related reporting activities, and other dissemination efforts.
Applicants should have an earned a doctoral degree in educational, developmental, or social psychology or a related field or provide evidence that the doctoral degree will be completed prior to the start of the appointment.
Applicants should also have experience:
- Conducting psychological and/or educational research using longitudinal and/or experimental designs;
- Knowledge and expertise in the use of SPSS and Excel;
- Experience teaching or TAing courses in educational psychology and/or research methods at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Background in motivation as well as an interest in statistics, including structural equation modeling, longitudinal data analysis, multi-level analysis, and/or person-centered data analysis;
- Experience with MPlus and/or R;
- Experience conducting/coding qualitative research.
Required Application Materials
(1) cover letter detailing qualifications for the position, including a clear statement of research interests, description of relevant analytical/statistical and data management experience, and teaching philosophy/experience (2) curriculum vitae, (3) up to three representative publications, and (4) names and contact information for three references.
Please submit all application materials by February 1, 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Late submissions will be considered if suitable candidates are not identified by the deadline.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend