Senior Admin. Business Professional
Back to search results
Job no: 560402
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Msue Directors Office 10058282
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Administrative/Business/Professional, Advising/Counseling, Agriculture, Education/Training, Financial/Accounting, Union
Grants, Contracts & Research Svcs Asst
Oversees the operational activities of a moderately large and/or complex department, program, or functional unit. Manages and assists in short-term and long-term planning of fiscal and administrative procedures directly related to the management or general business operations of the unit or its customers; formulates, affects, interprets and/or implements management policies or operating practices and manages physical facilities.
This newly created position within the Grants, Contracts, and Research Services Team of MSU Extension (MSUE), will perform independent complex professional support to the MSU Extension enterprise across the state while working as part of a team. Success in this position will be demonstrated by the ability to work independently at a high level of responsibility in a busy and deadline driven work environment. This position plans and manages all external and internal grant and contract proposals, submissions, and acts as the main point of contact for fee for service operations, including assisting with rate development fee for service activities for MSU Extension. This position serves as a resource for Extension personnel, across all levels of the Organization throughout the state. This position interacts extensively with university staff, works with other universities, federal and state governments, foundations, industries and partner staff, to facilitate high quality proposal submissions and contractual arrangements. This position reviews solicitations, develops grant budgets, reviews proposals to ensure compliance with sponsoring agency regulations and University policies and procedures, and manages the post award accounting of some grants. The individual in this position assists the Manager of Extension Grants, Contracts & Research Services Team in leading the unit, including development of administrative goals, policies and procedures. Coordinating multiple projects while engaging with multiple groups and individuals is required. The person in this position will provide the day-to-day education of Extension personnel in all areas related to grants, contracts, and agreements, and will also support more formalized training provided by the Manager of Extension Grants, Contracts & Research Services throughout the year. Additionally, this position assists with data metrics, running data queries, and performs other duties as assigned by the Manager of Extension Grants, Contracts & Research Services Team as needed. Maintains currency in the field through continuous learning and training. Work maybe required outside of normal working hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Determines best practices and develops policies and procedures consistent with organizational values and goals, and recommends methods for integration of services with organizational initiatives.
- Oversees internal and external financial accounts and controls.
- Maintains advanced knowledge of key industry and organizational metrics and develops business cases for projects and initiatives.
- Executes case and pilot studies to evaluate and address specific business issues or critical activities in terms of value added, impact and utility derived from cost-benefit analysis.
- Maintains contemporary knowledge of ethics laws, standards, legislation, and emerging trends that may affect organizational behaviors and practice.
- Maintains advanced knowledge in the use of data, statistics, evidence-based research, benchmarks, HR and business metrics to make critical decisions.
- Fosters a culture of inclusiveness within the organization.
- Act as a resource for Extension personnel across all levels of the Organization on processes, procedures, and business related issues.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in a business-related field or in a field which corresponds to the particular department of employment.
- Five to eight years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in office procedures and administration, or in performing responsibilities related to the operational activities of the employing unit.
- Experience with word processing, database, spreadsheet, presentation software and/or desktop publishing, web page software.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a supervisory role.
- Completion of and certification in Essentials of Research Administration at MSU Certificate series.
- Completion of NCURA SPA I & II training.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
- Service-oriented approach and problem-solving skills to facilitate proposal submission and to meet unit and OSP deadlines in addition to Sponsor deadlines.
- Experience working with complex proposals, administering federal and state agency policies and research administration, developing budgets and related documents for grant proposals, ideally in an academic environment.
- Experience including, but not limited to, working within MSU policies and procedures, proposal budgets, budget justifications, solicitations, electronic grant submission processes such as Grants.gov, compliance and submission issues to succeed in a portfolio of federal, state, industrial, and non-profit grant and contract agencies.
- Experience in fee for service operations including budget development, invoice and financial management, and financial analysis.
- Experience working with other university units such as Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), Contract and Grant Administration (CGA), MSU Technologies (MSUT), Business Connect, Conflict of Interest and various Compliance units.
- Ability to create, and manage databases and prepare unit reports.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Office 365 and Query Studio.
- Self-starter whose strengths include problem solving, teamwork, and ability to work on several projects simultaneously in a busy, deadline-oriented environment.
- Leads the pre-award grant and contract proposal preparation and submission for MSU Extension Director’s Office and Institutes.
- Leads and overseas fee for service operation.
- Compliance, training and research services support.
- Post award and special project support.
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are asked to submit a current resume/CV, cover letter and four (4) professional references, including at least two (2) prior supervisors.
Generally M-F from 8-5, but may require work outside of normal working hours to meet deadlines.
Bidding Eligibility ends on 02/12/2019 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend