Extension 4-H Program Coordinator
Back to search results
Job no: 548828
Work type: Extension, Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Children And Youth 10058941
Categories: Education/Training, Veterinary/Animal Care, Non-Union, Full Time (90-100%), Extension Program Associate-EXPA, MSU Extension- EXPA, Advising/Counseling, Agriculture
Mecosta County 4-H Program Coordinator
As part of the MSU Extension Children & Youth Institute, with support from the 4-H Staff Development & Supervising Educator, District Coordinator and Institute Director, provides leadership and oversight for growth and management of local 4-H programs, volunteers and youth participants; recruits, selects and trains 4-H program volunteers; oversees program/project promotion, expansion and evaluation activities; conducts direct programming with youth and adult audiences, gathers and analyzes data for impact evaluation efforts; and, works in conjunction with other staff, program participants and community partners to attain both short-term and long-term goals and objectives. Works in concert with the MSU Extension Children and Youth Institute and work teams to ensure alignment of programs with overall goals of work team, Institute and organization.
- Provide leadership for county-based 4-H Youth programs through 4-H clubs, after school programs, short term/special interest programs, planned youth mentoring, and/or school enrichment efforts.
- Conduct needs assessments in conjunction with local stakeholders to ensure programming meets interests and needs of participants.
- Leadership of local volunteer management; ensure on an annual basis metrics are achieved to identify, recruit, select, train and assist volunteers to teach and advise youth in various programs and activities.
- Ensure that MSU Extension Volunteer Selection Process procedures are followed in concert with the addition of any volunteers engaged in programming.
- Engage local 4-H volunteers to reach and involve the youth and families with non-formal “learning by doing” experiences. Be able to involve youth and adults from diverse backgrounds.
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate youth development programs that are relevant to the needs of county residents. Use program development committees and advisory committees to identify needs and opportunities and carry out programming.
- Operate independently, ensuring that program delivery follows established guidelines and meets the goals set for reaching the desired number of youth locally and statewide.
- Attend and act in an advisory capacity at 4-H Leaders’ Council and other program committee meetings, leading volunteers and members in coordination of countywide projects and ensuring that all MSUE and 4-H policies are followed.
- Create, promote and represent MSU Extension in activities, meetings, etc. in a manner that reflects collegial connection with the community, the research and knowledge of the University, and the goodwill of MSU Extension.
- Lead and advise local 4-H groups in securing and managing funds to support 4-H youth work. Conduct regular, appropriate financial management training to 4-H councils, committees, clubs, etc.
- Provide information and opportunities for learning through the use of technology, mass media, group meetings, workshops and individual contacts.
- Provide local leadership in strengthening public understanding that 4-H is for all youth.
- Work collaboratively with District Coordinator, Extension Educators and other stakeholders to identify, implement and disseminate the organizations educational priorities across the state and within communities.
- Ensure that diverse audiences are reached through traditional and newly developed programs.
- Communicate information about newly implemented and existing 4-H programs and activities (progress, objectives, target dates, problems addressed, etc.) to District Coordinator and Institute leadership, as appropriate and requested.
- Prepare and submit county 4-H youth development program plan, annual report (ES-237) and other necessary reports, as appropriate, with other professional and support staff, adhering to format and due date procedures.
- Actively participate in a variety of professional development opportunities to attain and retain program knowledge and delivery skills.
- Prepare and submit necessary information and documentation to ensure adherence to MSU Extension administrative policies, procedures and deadlines.
- Provide leadership when addressing local risk management issues in the areas of child safety, financial management, volunteer management and programming. Notifies and works with District Coordinator and MSUE leadership in developing and implementing strategies for addressing issues, in alignment with MSU policies and procedures.
- Leadership, management and oversight of all county-based financial resources related to 4-H programs.
- Understand the commitment to equal access and opportunity and to diversity and inclusivity.
- Understand and implement Civil Rights policies and compliance regarding the availability of 4-H Youth programs and activities.
- Initiate efforts to expand Extension programs to the unreached, including limited resource families, youth, minorities and the disabled.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Required Application Materials
Applicants are asked to submit a current resume/CV, cover letter and four (4) professional references.
Generally 40 hours Monday through Friday, with some nights and weekends needed.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend