Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 533173
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Education
Education Policy Center 10014017
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training, Research/Scientific
The Education Policy Innovation Collaborative (EPIC) at Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking a post-doctoral research associate to work on a new national school choice center funded by a five-year grant from the Institute of Education Sciences (IES). The National Center for Research on Education Access and Choice (REACH Center) will develop and carry out the next generation of research on how states and school districts may implement or revise their school choice programs and policies in ways that improve outcomes for disadvantaged students, including low-income, underrepresented minority, special education, and English Language Learner (ELL) students. For more about this project, see here: https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2018/education-policy-innovation-collaborative-to-launch-national-school-choice-research-center/
We are looking for a scholar who specializes in qualitative methodologies to work with Dr. Chris Torres in collaboration with Drs. Katharine Strunk and Josh Cowen on a project examining school choice policies in Michigan.
In addition to pursuing their own research program, duties will include:
- working with Drs. Torres, Strunk and Cowen on recruiting participants and case study sites for qualitative research across the state of Michigan;
- assisting with developing and revising interview protocols;
- coordinating qualitative data collection activities;
- assisting with qualitative data collection and analysis, which may require in-state travel;
- assisting with the developing and writing of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals;
- assisting with oversight of a team of doctoral student research associates
- collaborating with the national core qualitative research team: Drs. Julie Marsh (USC), Huriya Jabbar (UT Austin), and Katrina Bulkley (Montclair State).
An additional benefit of this position is that the postdoctoral research associate will join a large team of doctoral student, postdoctoral and staff researchers at EPIC. We are seeking a person who is excited to be a member of a dynamic and motivated team, and who is driven by a desire to produce both rigorous and relevant research.
The position, which includes benefits, is fixed term annual, 100% time position beginning September 1, 2019 with the potential for an additional year renewal in the College of Education based performance and funding.
- A Ph.D. in education or public policy, sociology, political science or other related field, with a preference for specialization in qualitative methodology
- A track record of publication, or evidence of strong potential;
- Strong knowledge and interest in school choice and charter schools;
- Familiarity with the literature on school choice and charter schools;
- Strong qualitative analysis skills, including experience with collaborative qualitative analysis software (NVivo and Dedoose preferred);
- Experience conducting qualitative data collection, particularly interviewing;
- Experience coordinating qualitative data collection, including an ability to creatively recruit participants and case study sites;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Interest in pursuing independent and collaborative policy-oriented research in the field of public education.
- Experience working on large-scale team-based projects:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication;
- Strong organization;
- Experience using excel.
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should send a letter of application stating qualifications for this position, resume, a writing sample (publication or draft manuscript), and the names and contact information for three references, preferably at least two of which are academic, by December 1, 2018.
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.msu.edu.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Chris Torres at email@example.com.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend