Assistant Instructor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 522831
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Music
Community Music School 10030163
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training, Non-Union
Director - Children and Youth Choir Program
Overview: This is a full-time fixed term position that includes non-degree academic year teaching and leading a two-week summer camp. The individual holding this position is responsible for oversight of the choral ensembles for students age 7-18 of the MSU Community Music School. In consultation with the Director of the Community Music School, the position sets the overall vision for the program, including artistic and administrative initiatives. In addition to conducting a number of choirs, the Director oversees conductors of additional ensembles and engages in recruitment, promotion and outreach.
Choral Ensembles and Conducting:
- Develop healthy choral tone of children and young adolescents.
- Teach efficiently with sound pedagogy, including implementation of music literacy and theory in rehearsals.
- Relate to and effectively teach singers ranging in age from 7-18.
- Inspire singers and hold them to high musical and ethical standards.
- Display or be willing to develop the skills to prepare the children’s choir for orchestral concerts and other professional appearances—including Lansing Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Symphony and MSU College of Music Symphony Orchestra and Opera program.
- Organize, recruit, and mentor assistant choir directors from the MSU College of Music for each choir.
- Utilize a broad range of choral literature, including diverse music from different genres, cultures and traditions suitable for children and youth.
- Dedication to age appropriate music/choral literature.
- Committing to a music literacy method (pitch and rhythm) and implementing in every rehearsal throughout the choral program.
- Choosing of music that allows for teaching of specific music terminology and concepts.
- Developing consistency in each choir for concepts taught in a semester or year.
- Communicate expectations and instructions clearly.
- Oversee uniform fittings, ordering, distribution, and care.
Administrative and Other Duties:
- Seek out and attend professional development opportunities to learn about common trends in children and youth choirs.
- Establish the yearly calendar with the CMS Director.
- Work with CMS development team in fundraising efforts.
- Grow and maintain the Children and Youth Choir choral library.
- Solicit parent volunteers.
- Lead and organize parent group meetings.
- Create a workable budget in conjunction with the CMS Director.
- Attend all staff meetings at the Community Music School.
- Serve as Ensembles and Classes area chair.
- Recruit, audition and select singers from diverse backgrounds—including school visits and in-school auditions.
- Plan and lead all choral auditions.
- Work in the community to actively promote the choral program and advocate for the choral program.
- Work with the Executive Director, Dean, and choral directors in establishing and maintaining effective recruitment as well as setting and sustaining goals.
- Oversee outreach programs which currently include: Waverly Outreach Choirs, Black History Month Concert/Tour, SingFest!, and performing multiple times per year in the community.
- Develop positive relationships with local schools and area choral directors.
- Communicate appropriately with orchestral conductors, accompanists, musicians and other artistic professionals.
Bachelors -Music Education
Masters -Music Education or Choral Conducting
3-5 years music teaching experience working with children and/or youth
1-3 years administrative, recruitment and fundraising experience
Required Application Materials
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- List of references with contact information
- Three letters of recommendation
- Recent audio or video recordings of rehearsals and performances including some recent live material
RE: Letters of recommendation: You will be prompted to enter the e-mail addresses for three of your references; they will receive an automated e-mail asking them to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf (you do not need to upload the letter yourself).
RE: Recordings: You may either provide URLs to the recordings (YouTube, Google Drive, etc.), or upload MP3s or other types of audio/video files.
Review of Applications Begins On
The Michigan State University Community Music School (CMS) is the outreach arm of the MSU College of Music and has two locations to serve our communities: CMS-East Lansing and CMS-Detroit.
Our mission is to provide a creative and welcoming environment where music experiences, education, and therapy services inspire individuals at all ability levels and stages of life to achieve their personal best. Founded on the belief that music dramatically enhances the quality of life, CMS offers opportunities for the study, appreciation and therapeutic use of music while nurturing the musical development of all. Financial aid is available to those with need.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend