Assistant Ombudsperson-Fixed Acad Staff
Back to search results
Job no: 520583
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Provost And Academic Affairs
University Ombudsperson 10050622
50000.00-70000.00 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling, Non-Union
The Office of the University Ombudsperson advocates for fairness and justice while adhering to the professional standards of informality, neutrality, confidentiality and independence. The office also serves as an alert mechanism for systemic change on campus. The Assistant University Ombudsperson will help resolve disputes and conflicts between Michigan State University students and representatives of the university by:
Providing impartial, confidential, informal and independent advice congruent with the International Ombudsman Association’s Standards of Practice;
- Clarifying problems and facilitating resolutions for all parties of a dispute;
- Providing information and answers questions about the University and its policies;
- Conducting research on issues and concerns;
- Assisting in managing case logs and preparing reports, presentations and memos regarding activities, trends and future success strategies;
- Answering calls and inquiries in a timely fashion to assist in triaging and providing guidance and resources, understanding that communications within the office are confidential;
- Collaborating with the University Ombudsperson on special projects; and participates in workshops, seminars and orientation sessions.
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of university policies, procedures and regulations related to students, faculty and administrators;
- Experience with informal resolution of complaints;
- A respect for the confidentiality and privacy of all parties to a dispute;
- An ability to maintain neutrality in resolving disputes;
- An ability to maintain composure in tension-filled situations;
- Knowledge of student development and/or conflict resolution theories and practices;
- An ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Knowledge of the instructional process;
- Concise, clear writing skills; and
- Good interpersonal skills.
Knowledge of medical, professional and graduate college operations. A flexible schedule (work outside of normal business hours) and a minimum two-year commitment are highly desirable.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter, CV, and contact information for at least 3 references.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend