Specialist - Outreach-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 511335
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Provost And Academic Affairs
Art Museum 10050506
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: 3/4 Time (65-89.9%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training, Library/Museums/Archives
Under the supervision of the Director of Education, the Gallery Educator for University and Adult Programs works in close collaboration with the MSU Broad Education Team to develop and implement MSU Broad touring programs and associated in-gallery activities. They contribute to the content, methodology, and overall vision for in-galley teaching by developing/leading tours and overseeing the docent, gallery guide, and volunteer training programs. As a gallery educator, this position is responsible for assuring that all volunteers are up-to-date on the current standards in museum pedagogy for youth, adults, and special needs populations.
- Work closely with Director of Education to identify short- and long-term goals for 1). Touring programs, 2). University faculty and student engagement, and 3). Community Docent, Gallery Guide, and Volunteer training programs
- Foster engaged learning experiences by developing, delivering, and evaluating dynamic inquiry-based tour experiences and associated activities for university classes, community groups, individuals, and other audiences as assigned.
- Develop strategies and resources for thematic tours, hack-style tours, special exhibition tours, and associated in-gallery activities in coordination with current exhibitions and collections on view.
- Conduct independent research on artists and artworks in MSU Broad exhibitions and collection. Develops training materials for docents and gallery guides.
- Supervise and manage all aspects of Community Docent Corps including: communication and administration; observation and evaluation; scheduling and logistics; and recruitment.
- Develop and teach ongoing training and continuing education on best practices in-gallery education for docents, gallery guides, volunteers, and education staff.
- Development of training curriculum and lesson plans for new continuing docents; co-teach semester-long new docent training program.
- Work closely with Visitor Services to develop training programs for Gallery Guides that aid them in successful interactions with our visitors.
- Work closely with the Museum Educator, PreK-12 + Family Programs to plan, implement, and evaluate school tours. Contribute to and facilitate training of staff and volunteers, including docents, who support activities for educators and PreK-12 audiences.
- Build university relationships and collaborative partnerships with faculty that promote the use of the museum and collection.
- Evaluate effectiveness, maintain statistics and attendance tracking, and prepare monthly/annual reports for tour programs and docent corps.
- Maintain a visible presence in the local, state, and national art and museum education community, stay current with recent research and writing, collaborate and network with other museum educators
- Work collaboratively with MSU Broad Education Team to offer general education and museum event support as assigned. `
Bachelor degree in Art History, Studio Art, Art Education, or Museum Studies
Bachelor degree in Art History with course work in museum studies and/or art education; 2 to 5 years of art museum experience with focus on gallery teaching and docent training.
Required Application Materials
Cover Letter and CV.
Department website: HTTPS://BROADMUSEUM.MSU.EDU/
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend