Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 490101
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Communication Arts Sciences
Communication Arts And Sciences Dean 10010158
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling, Student Services/Student Affairs
The College of Communication Arts and Sciences seeks to hire an Advising Specialist to work jointly in ComArtSci Academic and Student Affairs and ComArtSci Career Advising offices. The position will assist with academic advising, which includes course selection and connecting students with campus and local academic resources; use of technological applications and social media to assist students; experiential learning activities; recruitment; persistence and retention issues; as well as assisting with career advising, which includes programming and event implementation as well as facilitating and interpreting career assessments.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities: Career Services
- Collaborates with faculty and colleagues to deliver comprehensive academic advising and career services for the College of Communication Arts and Sciences.
- Develops career exploration and foundation programming.
- Develops, conducts and evaluates field-relevant career readiness activities that may be delivered through technology, classes, career fairs, workshops/programs, outreach and other forums. This may include evening and weekend attendance.
- Prepares written communications, reports, and multi-media materials for distribution to constituents and stakeholders.
- Helps identify potential internship and experiential learning opportunities.
- Collaborates with Career Services team to execute and evaluate Summer Experience Survey and Destination Survey.
- Manages collaborative newsletter between academic affairs and career services for the college.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities: Academic Advising
- Assists students in the development of their Academic Program Plan by explaining course selection, internships, study abroad, minors, concentrations, and enrollment sequence options
- Outlines university, college, and departmental curricular requirements to students
- Conducts probation conferences with students in academic distress, and develops appropriate steps in conjunction with the student to reach good academic standing
- Provides a listening ear and is able to make referrals to campus resources
- Monitors student progress towards degree completion and assists students during annual enrollment
- Meets with prospective students and their parents
- Serves as a liaison to faculty, academic departments, and department chairs within the College
Masters -Communication, Student Affairs or related
A Master’s degree in communication, student affairs or a related field is required. Experience working with students in an academic advising capacity and on career-related topics; familiarity with career development, job search techniques, and employer hiring practices; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter, CV, and three references
Review of applications begins 2/22/18. Applicants should submit the following materials: 1) cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, and 3) three references
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend