Research Assistant II
Back to search results
Job no: 489642
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Human Medicine
Institute For Quantitative Health 40001013
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Research/Scientific, Union
The Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering (IQ) is seeking a Research Assistant II to provide guidance to existing lab managers in the institute. In addition, the successful candidate will serve as the lab manager for Dr. Christopher Contag. IQ offers a unique environment for performing state-of-the-art research with many of the top scientists in the field for understanding disease and developing early diagnosis and therapeutics.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee and facilitate the operations of a scientific research facility
- Plan and coordinate the short-term logistics for the lab and research facility
- Act as a liaison with University safety and service departments (eg. EHS, IRB, CAR) in order to meet University, state, and federal requirements
- Serve as point person for laboratory managers and laboratory technicians
- Provide lab support to maintain health and safety standards in order to comply with University, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- Audit and monitor files and records on hazardous materials
- Order, reconcile, record, and manage delivery of lab supplies
- Develop techniques for collecting and analyzing data
- Gather and analyze statistical data in order to provide information for reports and publications
- Perform other duties as assigned by the principal investigator that supports the research of the mission of the laboratory and institute
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in the specific field of research employment or other related science fields; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements and performing analytical and research techniques in an area related to research being performed; may require software specific to the area of research; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The position may require special licensing or certification in the field related to the area of employment.
3-5 years experience running a lab, Biomedical experience, or experience with animal subjects is an advantage.
Required Application Materials
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and names and contact information of three references.
Summary of Physical Demands
-Lifting supplies and equipment
-Carrying supplies and equipment
-Pulling/pushing supplies and equipment on a flatbed
Summary of Health Risks
-Exposure to human blood, serum, tissue, and other body fluids; and materials covered under Universal Precautions.
-TB risk or work within 3 feet of human patients in a health care setting or have potential exposure to animals or to specimens with Mycobaterium.
-Work with animals or unfixed animal tissue.
-Drive a university vehicle, which requires a commercial driver's license.
-Risks that have been identified by Environmental Health and Safety, such as exposure to radioactive materials.
(Bidding Eligibility ends 02/13/2018 at 11:55 PM)
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend