Back to search results
Job no: 488151
Work type: Extension, Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Agriculture And Agribusiness 10058940
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Agriculture, Education/Training
Veterans' Liaison/Agriculture Entomology
As part of MSU Extension (MSUE) and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, this position has dual responsibilities providing local as well as statewide leadership and educational programming expertise as a Veterans’ Liaison and in agriculture entomology, specifically biological pest control and beekeeping education in alignment with the Fruit and Field Crops Work Teams. This position will collaborate across work teams, Institutes and community groups and work with faculty, specialists and educators for advancement of the needs of the Institute clientele; designs, implements and evaluates programming based on basic and applied research and the needs of clientele groups; ensures dissemination of research-based information through various methods, including multi-media, personal education and written articles; and serves as an informational resource for Extension Personnel and clientele.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate innovative educational programs that advocate for military veterans entering agriculture careers and connect veterans with agricultural resources;
- Communicate and interact with community groups to evaluate the needs of the clientele;
- Serve as an information resource to clientele, partners and Extension staff in areas of agriculture entomology, specifically biological pest control and beekeeping education;
- Develop a job training certification program to be used in conjunction with MSU Extension educational programs utilizing Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation benefits;
- Collaborate with MSU Extension staff to conduct and evaluate programming efforts;
- In concert with the MSU Extension work team(s), work with federal, state and county agencies to complete needs assessment of the community and develop effective programming;
- Create and promote positive public relations for MSU Extension and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute ;
- Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational articles;
- Develop and utilize appropriate media methods to communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities;
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities;
- Gather and report programming outputs and impacts, to demonstrate program effectiveness and to guide future program priorities for MSU Extension, the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute and the work teams aligned with;
- Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan’s diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
- Understand and implement Civil Rights policies and procedures;
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the Institute Director.
Masters -agriculture, entomology
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to agriculture or entomology must be earned by date of hire;
- Demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation specific to the development and strengthening of veteran outreach in Michigan;
- Experience in agriculture entomology, pest control, plant growth regulators and production horticulture.
- Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from research of initial concept to project completion and follow-up;
- Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs;
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team;
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently in an office environment without daily supervision and/or coaching;
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management;
- Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities, including, but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards;
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.;
- Ability to travel in local and surrounding communities and occasional long distance travel are required as a regular part of this position;
- Transportation is the responsibility of the employee;
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- 3-years’ experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred);
- 5 to 7- years’ experience and knowledge in biological pest control, agriculture entomology and leading the development of agricultural outreach programs for veterans.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are asked to provide a current resume/CV, cover letter and four (4) professional references.
This position is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend