Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 484954
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Vice Pres Research And Graduate Studies
Clinical And Translational Sciences 10050089
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific
- Oversees a variety of clinical research informatics services (e.g. development of case report forms, data management, programming tasks, etc.) provided to support large and small research projects;
- works independently with clients to analyze problems and needs, and develops solutions for data collection tools, data management, and other study support;
- trains and supports client field staff in data collection methods, interaction with subjects, and quality control measures;
- creates data management code (e.g. SAS) and reviews code developed by others for accuracy and functional integrity.
- Responsibilities of this position include:
- creating and overseeing the maintenance of end user documentation, manuals, and training materials;
- leading testing processes, validation, documentation, and maintenance protocols in support of the study management program;
- providing guidance and recommendations related to data security and protection of personally identifying information;
- designing quality control measures;
- and leading meetings and conference calls with research sponsors and/or investigators.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Candidate will adhere to policies of regulatory compliance and good clinical practices, and will complete IRB and data security training.
- Opportunity to assume role of Key Personnel or Co-Investigator in funded client or internal research programs, to collaborate in paper writing, and to pursue personal grants.
Doctoral degree. (Ph.D., Ed.D., M.D., D.O., D.V.M.) or its equivalent in epidemiology, a social science, statistics, computer science, public health, or similar discipline.
Exceptions will be considered for the following:
1. Individuals without a doctoral degree may be appointed with the rank of research associate for nine months provided the following condition is satisfied:
Satisfactory completion of the Ph.D. dissertation defense/orals with minimal revisions needed that are expected to be completed within three to six months. A letter from the chairperson of the department/school in which the Ph.D. work is being taken indicating the nature of the work to be completed and an estimated time-frame for completion must be submitted with the appointment form.
Any reappointment beyond nine months requires proof of degree or a statement from the Dean of the Graduate School, or other appropriate University official, that the requirements have been completed.
2. Individuals who have completed all requirements for the doctoral degree, but the degree has not been formally awarded, may be appointed for up to twelve months. A letter from the Dean of the Graduate School, University Registrar's Office, or other appropriate University official must be submitted with the appointment form.
- Experience in a biomedical, clinical trial, epidemiology, public health, or social science research support capacity, especially support related to collection of participant data or designing logistics to support study protocol;
- Experience using written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with faculty investigators, and/or clinical staff, outside agencies, sponsors, and research participants;
- Experience writing or/or reviewing SAS code for data management, or experience with procedural languages (e.g. SQL or macro writing);
- Demonstrated capability to independently manage small to medium-sized projects;
- Work experience in two or more of the following: collecting research data, coordinating overall data management and other informatics support, client support;
- Writing programs for data preparation for analysis, management systems software support;
- Training staff in the use of informatics tools.
Required Application Materials
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
Please submit cover letter and CV. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Department website: https://ctsi.msu.edu/
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now