Back to search results
Job no: 480166
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Human Medicine
Chm Flint 40000829
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Faculty, Research/Scientific
Ast Inst/Inst/Ast Prof/Asc Prof/Prof
The College of Human Medicine seeks candidates for 3-5 positions to help build a growing academic program of public health centered in Flint, MI. The goal is to expand a strong, energetic cohort of public health researchers who are dedicated to academic excellence and research that improves the health and well-being of the communities around them. To build academic expertise that is optimally responsive to the public health needs of the Flint community, the program seeks candidates in the following areas: 1) implementation and/or health policy research; 2) prevention research and/or work with families across the life span; and 3) intervention and health services research. Identified areas of need include research to address substance abuse, mental health, smoking, obesity, maternal and child health, chronic diseases, health disparities, sexually transmitted infections, access to care, and social and built environmental determinants of health including violence, safety, education, poverty, and unemployment. In the context of recent challenges in Flint, there is also interest in expertise related to adverse childhood experiences /toxic stress mitigation, developmental neuroscience, nutrition, environmental health, community readiness, or related topics under the recently-launched Pediatric Public Health Initiative.
We seek researchers who are, or soon will be, R01-level principal investigators with a commitment to the health and well-being of underserved populations and communities. While based in Flint, faculty will be expected to collaborate across multiple disciplines at MSU and with health care and health system leaders to improve health and advance the delivery of care across diverse populations. Funding for these positions will be based on which faculty and projects the candidates are working.
The position can be filled to commensurate with experience at one of the following ranks: Assistant Instructor/Instructor/Assistant Prof/Associate Prof/Professor
- A PhD, DrPH, or similar in a field such as public health, health services research, health economics, clinical disciplines (including psychology, social work, medicine, pediatrics, nutrition, etc.), sociology, food science/human nutrition, health communications, and epidemiology; MD or DO may be considered.
- Assistant Professor level positions require a Ph.D., a K-award, R21 or R34 funding and/or other evidence of preparation to become R01 principal investigators.
- Associate Professor or Professor level applicants require a significant record of external funding and scholarship and the ability to build teams/clusters of scientists focusing on related topics.
- Successful applicants will have an established investigator-initiated research program and a record of NIH or related federal funding (ie, PCORI, AHRQ, CDC, DoD, USDA, etc.) and peer-reviewed journal/articles.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams is essential.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Research Funding
- Research Interests
Applicants should submit a letter of application including a personal statement, curriculum vitae, history of research funding, statement of current and future research plans, and contact information (address, e-mail and phone) for four references (applicant will be notified prior to contacting references). The personal statement should, among other things, indicate how this opportunity aligns with both current research emphases and career aspirations.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. Questions may be directed to Jennifer Johnson, PhD, Search Committee Chair, (810) 600-5669, Jennifer.Johnson@hc.msu.edu.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend