Specialist - Curriculum Dev-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 478417
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Eli Broad College Of Business
Eli Broad College Of Business Dean 10008118
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training
Learning Design and Accessibility Specia
The Eli Broad College of Business and the College of Arts and Letters are collaborating to seek a learning design and accessibility specialist. This talented individual will assist academic technology leaders in achieving strategic goals in regard to teaching, learning, and technology. You will be responsible for implementing universal accessibility compliance (based on WCAG 2.0 AA standards), improving instructional design, and crafting curricular materials in support of classroom and online pedagogy.
The Learning Design and Accessibility Specialist is a three-year academic specialist appointment, renewable subject to satisfactory performance reviews. As an academic specialist, you will work closely with faculty members and administrators to provide comprehensive support for teaching and learning programs in both The Eli Broad College of Business and the College of Arts and Letters. In this role, you will be part of academic technology teams in both colleges. In these teams, we are dedicated to building a culture of accessibility and instructional best practice. We engage with faculty and graduate instructors to optimize instructional design, educational technology, accessibility, and assessment. As part of these teams you will be central to improving teaching and learning at Michigan State.
- You will oversee student employees working on accessibility issues, online development, and content remediation.
- You will lead training sessions, workshops, and seminars related to teaching and learning with technology and accessibility compliance.
- You will support use of accessible digital media in teaching and learning, including video, audio and image production through appropriate technology, web development and coding.
- You will collaborate with faculty, staff, student employees, learning designers, platform providers, and colleagues on matters related to instructional design.
Masters -instructional design, education
The demands of this job require that you have a combination of skills surrounding teaching and instructional design, and you should have experience ensuring that digital content is accessible. You should be confident in working with diverse populations and should understand dynamics of instruction at the university level. It is required that you:
- Hold a master’s degree in instructional design, instructional technology, education, higher education, or other graduate degree related to the job responsibilities.
- Can demonstrate at least two years' experience collaborating with university faculty on instructional and course web design, accessibility, online programming, assessment and/or pedagogy.
- Understand universal design and/or accessibility/disability issues, including WCAG 2.0 guidelines and policy implications, ePub3 and video.
- Can use or understand assistive technologies (e.g., screen-readers, digital learning platforms).
- Are fluent in current and emerging issues in teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Understand web design principles and can navigate common HTML and CSS problems.
- Have experience in training or mentorship.
- Are an excellent communicator.
The ideal candidate will have the expertise, dedication, and passion to elevate the university's instructional environment and improve the student experience. We see the following skills and competencies as especially desirable:
- Experience in web development
- Experience in the development of learning outcomes and assessment.
- Experience in supervising students and project management.
Required Application Materials
Resume and cover letter.
References upon request.
Review of applications will begin on December 12, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend