Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 477426
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Asc Provost For Undergraduate Education
Neighborhood Success Collaborative 10053839
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Continuing System Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling
The Neighborhood Student Success Collaborative seeks to hire two (2) Academic Advisor to advise a diverse student population primarily, but not exclusively, comprised of first-year and sophomore students who have not yet declared a major.
The successful candidate will work in a collaborative setting with Neighborhood Directors, academic, residential and student affairs staff, student success coaches, health clinicians, enrollment services, and other Neighborhood and campus partners.
Advising responsibilities include: course planning and registration, early warning outreach, major and career exploration, probation conferences, campus and local referrals, institutional navigation, academic orientation, data collection and analysis, and study abroad. Understand,interpret, and implement academic policies and procedures.
Use digital systems (e.g., Electronic Student Academic Folder (ESAF), EAB Student Success Dashboard, Degree Navigator, SIS) to initiate and facilitate advising interactions, maintain confidential records,enter information about students, and respond to referrals from others to support student success. Create data driven initiatives to support student success.
Participate in planning and implementing Neighborhood and campus-wide initiatives to promote student success (e.g., Marathon of Majors,Neighborhood Academic Engagement Programs, population-specific outreach).Facilitate a section of an undergraduate student success seminar, as needed. Lead training and professional presentations.
This position requires occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Master's degree or evidence of advanced work leading to a master's or terminal degree.
- Previous experience in an academic environment.
- Commitment to undergraduate student success.
- Understanding of intercultural dynamics that impact student success.
- Excellent communication skills; including an ability to work diplomatically and effectively with campus partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to access, understand, and interpret data from multiple sources to facilitate advising interactions and promote student success through pro-active and innovative advising practices.
- Ability to use data to evaluate individual and group efforts to promote student success through academic advising.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft.
- Experience with online student success platforms.
- Teaching experience with secondary or post-secondary students.
- One to three years of advising experience.
- Experience with data collection and visualization.
- Proficiency with Google Apps.
- Experience implementing strategic initiatives to support the academic success of minoritized populations.
Required Application Materials
Cover Letter with CV addressed to Erica Fiasky (Committee Chair)
Questions, contact Angela Sorrells Jones, by phone 517 432-1581 or by email email@example.com
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend