Development Officer II
Back to search results
Job no: 477620
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Asc Vice Pres For University Development 10069230
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising
Associate Director of Development
Competing within the prestigious Big Ten Conference, Michigan State University Athletics is a self–sustaining unit and private support plays a crucial role to keep that fiscal responsibility. MSU Athletics, through contributions to the Spartan Fund, has raised over $262 million during Empower Extraordinary - the campaign for Michigan State through capital, annual, endowment and planned gifts. These philanthropic gifts are in support of the Spartan Athletics mission statement:
We gather and engage our community to teach, support and celebrate our student-athletes in their quest for excellence.
Annually, nearly 800 student-athletes across 25 sports are getting a world-class education while playing the sport they love. With private support from Spartans across the country, we are able to offer a championship level opportunity in the classroom, in competition and in the community. We are helping shape the future of MSU Athletics under dynamic leadership and with a progressive attitude.
The Associate Director of Development identifies, cultivates and solicits gifts and pledges with donors and prospects that are capable of giving in excess of $50,000.
The Director manages, develops, and stewards a portfolio of 150-200 prospects and donors securing major and planned gifts in a defined Region on behalf of Michigan State Athletics. Will work closely with other athletic department leaders, coaches and development colleagues to coordinate and collaborate in order to maximize gift potential for intercollegiate athletics and Michigan State University.
Frequent travel in and out of state may be required as well as regular participation in evening and weekend activities.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and/or Business; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in athletics and/or professional and higher education fund raising, marketing or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Available to manage 50% travel, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, when needed. Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Seven or more years of development experience, with at least five years of major gift experience.
- Knowledge of laws, practices and philosophy of charitable giving.
- Demonstrated track record of financial development and/or sales productivity in a complex work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a campus culture that includes a diverse array of personalities.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively in a fast moving environment.
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work autonomously, collaboratively and within a team structure.
- Experience with “Moves Management” or related strategic relationship development.
- Travel involving automobile, airline and rail.
Required Application Materials
Work hours are 8 am to 5 pm with some nights and weekends.
Bidding Eligibility Ends 11/21/2017 @ 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend