Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 477323
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Integrative Biology 10032920
47500.00-60000.00 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific
Looking for a highly motivated, creative scientist to join the Boughman lab in the Integrative Biology Department at MSU as a Research Associate (Postdoc). The Boughman lab studies the evolutionary process of diversification, including speciation. We study the interplay between sexual and natural selection in diversification; the creative and destructive role of hybridization; the evolution of behavior, communication, cognition, and sensory systems; and the consequences this trait evolution has for speciation. We use the charismatic threespine stickleback system because of its extraordinary power for addressing evolutionary questions. Plus, the fish are fun to work with and inherently intriguing. Ongoing research is with populations in British Columbia and Iceland. The position provides additional opportunities for independent research in related areas for motivated postdoctoral scientists.
Primary duties are to conduct research emphasizing evolutionary diversification in different aquatic environments using stickleback fish. The projects investigate adaptation, speciation, evolution of behavior and related morphological phenotypes, and reproductive biology relating to diversification including mate choice and sperm competition. The research associate will be responsible for carrying out research projects in the laboratory and field, training and supervising other personnel, analyzing data, and publishing results in a timely fashion.
Required experience includes:
- generating and analyzing phenotypic and fitness data on morphology, behavior, reproductive traits, and other adaptive phenotypes;
- behavioral experiments on mate choice and sperm competition;
- knowledge of quantitative genetics;
- experience with RNSseq and proteomics to address evolutionary questions;
- experience with fluorescence microscopy, including photo and video analyses;
- experience doing field work in challenging locales;
- excellent analytical skills including experience analyzing big datasets and working with databases;
- demonstrated ability to publish good quality papers;
- good communication & writing skills.
Required Application Materials
Brief cover letter describing research interests and motivation; CV; Names and contact information for three references and two-three papers
Interested candidates should apply through the MSU ApplicantPage at careers.msu.edu. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org before applying to start a conversation or ask questions. The initial hire is for one year with a possibility of three years depending on satisfactory progress.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend