Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 476534
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Social Science Dean 10038766
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Continuing System Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling, Education/Training, Student Services/Student Affairs
Assistant Director, Student Affairs
The College of Social Science is seeking an Specialist-Advisor, also known as Assistant Director of Student Affairs, to assist the Director in the day-to-day operations of the Office of Students Affairs and with the implementation of policies and procedures related to academic advising in the College. Assist with college-level approvals using electronic student information systems, including the Registrar's Office web forms; degree audit system, and other technologies related to academic advising and academic and student affairs. Work with the Director of Student Affairs to develop and administer at-risk programming, the STAR program, utilizing best practices in advising to actively facilitate student engagement in strategies for academic success that will include proactive approaches to advising and intervention through programmatic and on-line resources. Duties will include participating in College and University recruitment events, assisting with the coordination of AOP, College commencement, Fall welcome, Marathon of Majors, and other College and University functions.
Masters -Student Affairs or related field
- A Master's degree in student affairs or related field.
- Minimum of five years of advising and/or academic and student affairs experience.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team is essential.
- Sound decision making ability, as well as excellent communication, interpersonal, and multitasking skills.
- Expected to have knowledge of undergraduate academic policies and procedures and commitment to working with students from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Engagement in relevant external professional activities is expected.
Experience with MSU advising systems and familiarity with curriculum desirable.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter and resume
The search committee will review candidate applications beginning on November 27, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend