Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 476590
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Integrative Biology 10032920
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific
A National Science Foundation research associate, postdoctoral, position is now available in the Electric Fish Laboratory in the Department of Integrative Biology at Michigan State University (http://efish.zoology.msu.edu) concerning the genomic basis of electric signal diversity in mormyrid electric fish.
The successful applicant will be responsible for field-based research in Gabon, West-Central Africa. In the laboratory, applicant will be responsible for conducting behavioral assays, as well as analysis of genomic and transcriptomic data using bioinformatics tools in a high-performance computing environment. Work will require the development of new research methodologies and tools, and publishing results in high-impact journals. In addition, successful applicants will be responsible for co-training undergraduate, graduate students and technicians, as well as contributing tot he overall research environment of the University. Successful applicant will be encouraged to participate in a one-of-a-kind NSF-sponsored BEACON center for the study of evolution in action (http://bit.ly/GN0Rhx), for which MSU is the host institution. Professional development opportunities will be provided in conjunction with the MSU Office of Postdoctoral Training and the Center For Academic Excellence.
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in biology, evolution, bioinformatics, genetics or related field at time of appointment.
- Publication of work based on Ph.D. thesis is required, as well as teaching and supervisory experience.
- A strong working knowledge of next-generation sequencing technologies, as well as proficiency in the use of UNIX/Linux command line operating systems.
- Competence in at least one computer scripting language (R, Python, Perl, MATLAB).
- Must be willing and able to perform field working Gabon, West-Central Africa.
- Experience performing field work with tropical fishes (minimum one year) is required.
- Experience with genomic assembly and analysis, population genetics, experience and background in communication systems and weakly electric fish research, fluency or competency in French.
Required Application Materials
Submit a cover letter, current CV, and the contact information (phone number and email address) of three referees.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend