Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 464280
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Social Work 10038782
36709.00-47500.00 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling
- Reports to the Director of the Undergraduate program. Works with the Director and Associate Director of the School of Social Work, Undergraduate Program staff, Field Education Coordinator for the East Lansing programs, Academic Recruiting Specialist, support staff;
- Provide academic advising to applicants and currently enrolled undergraduate social work students, to promote academic and professional success, through individual, group, and technology-based modalities;
- Interpret and explain academic requirements and policies to students; provide information about course selection, course schedules, course waivers, dual degree/minor opportunities, graduation requirements and other academic questions in regards to the School of Social Work and College of Social Science degree requirements. Refer students to support services including financial aid, tutorial support, psychological, disability, and testing services.
- Develop and monitor advising programming. Identify and create resources to assist students with academic planning and goal setting. Create and supervise peer facilitated activities such as peer mentoring, academic success programming, and peer advising.
- Successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); have experience utilizing technology including online student information/database systems SIS, Degree Navigator, ESAF, Student Information Generator, StudentSuccess Dashboard).
- Assist students with unanticipated emergency situations that impact their academic progress. Provide support, crisis intervention planning, and responsible reporting for students as appropriate. Collaborate with university and college offices to ensure effective critical incident management.
- Maintain and follow appropriate university and government confidentiality and privacy guidelines.
- Mediate student/faculty concerns.
- Participatein Academic Standing and Student Reviews (ASSR), acting as recorder for the meeting, advocate for the student, and producing follow-up letters to students.
- Inform the Undergraduate Director about student or program-related concerns, and consult with the Undergraduate Director as necessary.
- Participate as a member ofthe undergraduate office committee and undergraduate admissions committee.
- Participate in School of Social Work events, such as faculty meetings, graduation, etc.
- Serveon sequence committee(s) and other school committees as assigned.
- Represent the School of Social Work at college, university, and community events as directed.
- Fulfill other duties as required.
- Teach courses assigned byAssociate Director of the School of Social Work.
Masters -Social Work
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills;
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with diverse students, staff, and faculty;
- Strong computer skills; comfort with social media and data management;
- Knowledge of (or ability to quickly learn) university, college, and School of Social Work academic processes and policies;
- Advising and teaching experience preferred;
- Experience working in an academic setting preferred.
Required Application Materials
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend